Zales LIE with their "lifetime diamond commitment"

214 of 277 Zales reviews

Get whatever the sales clerk says IN WRITING!you'll need it later.

If you lose your diamond, it's covered, but if you go in for the 6-month check and they find a loose stone, they harass you that you don't have a warranty and NOW you owe $80+ to fix it. Oh, I see, so if I go out and oops! Loose a stone, you replace it for FREE, yet when I'm proactive about caring for my ring, you nickel and dime me to death in saying that the warranty my husband got when he initially purchased the ring wasn't "lifetime" as the sale clerk explained, it actually expired in two years, and since it's after two years, we have this other "lifetime warranty" you can buy for $80 PER RING! WTH???

Here a beautiful expression of my husbands love for me has turned into this nightmare where this horrid company wants more money from me! I think I'm better off, going to your competitor, Zales, having my two rings of yours melted down and start from scratch. YOU SUCK! Another customer/family of customers you can say goodbye to.

Maybe next time a customer calls to complain you will get back to them in the 2 business days you promise (not a week, when I call to follow up), and then hire good managers who don't then call me, after I've followed up, to then again have the audacity to ask for MORE money and that I should upgrade my ring!

Are you for real or just on the planet to rip people off and take advantage of people?

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 20 Yes 20
214 of 277 Zales reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Getoverit

Nov 01, 2015 #1057040

This is old but.... seriously???? Of course you're THE ONLY ONE on the planet this happened to. Oh wait, no, YOU'RE NOT. It was a 2 year warranty get over it or melt the ring your husband gave you. YOU CARE ABOUT THAT RING SOOO MUCH YOU'D RATHER DESTROY IT THAN PAY $80?!!! HILARIOUS.

1 5 Reply

Sep 10, 2015 #1032375

Can anyone help me out and show me an example of this 6 month inspection sheet??

LINDA

Mar 29, 2014 #799985 Richardson, Texas, United States

You know what Zales is, A piece of ***.I purchased a tennis bracelet from them right.Took it back in 6 months and Had it cleaned and Checked right.Tell me how in the *** my bracelet turned green,I would say the bracelet was not real gold.And i never got anyone to take responsibility for this tennis bracelet.I will never purchase anything else from Zales period.F--- Zales.

2 2 Reply
Lee

Feb 01, 2014 #780830

AJ,
I have my Lifetime Diamond Commitment Record Card and I just recently noticed that though have signatures for the first two inspections on record card, there are not any inspection numbers entered. Is this a code that changes with each inspection?

6 0 Reply

Feb 09, 2013 #606487 Roanoke, Virginia, United States

I am surprised you all are having so much trouble. There is a difference from the diamond guarantee and the Lifetime warranty which is purchased at time of sell. If your diamond falls out Zales will replace it. If you have the Lifetime warranty it additionally covers all repairs, sizing, and a trade-up for the lifetime of the ring so long as you have it inspected every 6 months after purchase. I have had to have my diamond engagement ring repaired when it was loose, sizes changed in my three wedding rings, a stone straightened in my wedding band among several other things. Once Zales messed up the cathedral setting in my three stone and replaced the ring at no charge. I have never had a problem from them and if I wasn't 100% satisfied with the work I requested it be sent to another jeweler or went to a different store.

5 3 Reply
Mustang, Oklahoma

Oct 15, 2012 #555610

I JUST got back from Penn Square Mall in Oklahoma City and had the EXACT SAME experience as the lady from San Francisco, CA. I took it in for my 6 month cleaning and she noticed ANOTHER fault on it and out of the blue she said I would have to pay for the repair?? I kept telling her we bought the Diamond bond and now I get told Huh? And now she's coming up with the lifetime warranty stuff? So, now I'm going to contact them and get this resolved! I've had to have my ring repaired about 5 times. I had been in there so many times, that the manager told me that if I had to have it repaired again, they would hae to give me another piece. Now, I get this:( I wish they would get thier act together!

3 3 Reply

Mar 12, 2012 #447630

Not doing damage control. If you look carefully, I said I worked there, not work there.
What I do know from working in jewelry is that people can sometimes have unreasonable expectations as to the long term wear of their jewelry, and don't believe in doing maintenance required. I am not saying that you may not have gotten a bad item, I don't know. I just know that even for people who are careful with their jewelry, maintenance is a matter of WHEN not if. Since it sounds as though your problems started 6 years in, I was just saying it could be from wearing it and not because it is defective. Again, I don't know and haven't seen your ring.
Also, I know that I have not read the fine print on warranties I purchased in the past, but that being said, you can’t argue that they lie about their warranties if you don’t read them and know what they cover. It’s up to you to be sure you understand how your warranties work and not take someone else’s word over the printed facts they hand to you, especially if they are a sales person.

5 0 Reply
Hiskitty74

Feb 07, 2015 #942385 Gary, Indiana, United States

My Fiance (husband now) purchased my engagement ring at Zales in 2013 I have taken it in every 6 months as promised and had been told 3 months before our wedding that a stone was loose. They sent it out had it repaired and cleaned etc no muss no fuss and never asked for addition funds because we bought the lifetime warranty. I purchased my wedding band from elsewhere and discovered that there lifetime warranty also covered ANY jeweler work I wanted done not just sizing and repair but it does not diminish my love for my engagement ring. Very satisfied customer.

1 1 Reply

Mar 08, 2012 #445292

AJ - Are you doing damage control for Zales and just cutting and posting a jewelry 101 history lesson?
Reality check - I have to agree with the "trade-it-up" up selling. I have sentimental value to my ring and don't want to be associated with a poor quality product and then be told, "oh, just trade it up" which really means: you can have another piece of *** ring that will fall apart for $2K more!

2 1 Reply

Mar 08, 2012 #444812 Maldonado, Maldonado, Uruguay

MeanPeopleSuck, I know it can be frustrating to have to send your ring off to the Zales jeweler for repair when the stone gets loose. However, if you use and wear your ring everyday it is going to need some kind of maintenance. You don't drive your car for 6 years every day and expect everything to go smoothly without tune-ups, oil changes, and various other services.

Gold is not as hard as a diamond so your prongs and settings will get some form of wear and tear. This is probably why your stones get loose over time, not necessarily due to shoddy workmanship. That is not to say that there are not situations when you get a lemon, just like buying a car or anything else. But in most cases and not all of them of course, the maintenance needed is due to wear and tear over craftsmanship. You may be like I am and be very hard on your jewelry and these kinds of protection plan are my life saver. It will not cover rebuilding the shank (band portion of your ring) or custom type work, but it can be valuable for basic fixes like tightening stones.

I am sorry about your confusion on the warranties. Until around Christmas 2006 the only lifetime warranty offered by Zales was the Diamond Bond, which covers your diamonds against breakage, chipping or loss. Since your ring was 6 years old at the time of your original post, I am assuming you had purchased what was available at that time, which was a two year warranty for basic maintenance type of
... Show more

4 0 Reply
Reality check

Jan 02, 2012 #401787

Jewelry is something that has a HUGE markup on it.Believe me I know and if you knew just how high the markup was it would make you sick.Before you ever go to a jewelry story you should educate yourself about jewelry in the same way you would before you buy a car.If you do not know about jewelry the sales person will see this and most likely take advantage of you the same way a car salesman will.As I said on another post about jewelry you should really consider buying from a pawn shop or seller of estate jewelry.The reason is because you can save huge if you buy from these places compared to a jewelry store because they do not have the huge markup.As long as you are buying a modern cut stone you are buying the same thing as in the jewelry store except you are paying $3,000 instead of 8 or $10,000.There is something many jewelry stores are doing now called "trading up".This is where for example if you buy a ring that is $5,000 you get a paper with it saying you can "trade it up" on a purchase of a diamond of $7,000 or more.This means if you decide to buy another ring that is $7,000 or more you can bring back the $5,000 ring and give it back to the store and only pay the $2,000.This should give you a hint about how high the markup on jewelry is.Can you guess what happens to the diamonds you "trade in"?? Most of the time they are remounted and put right back in the case for sale.I will also comment about another practice of zales.I have been in zales stores and asked to see... Show more

1 2 Reply
ZGirl83

Jan 02, 2012 #401669

@ Zales District Manager,

If that's the way you feel about a company that employs you (if you are still a district manager as you say) maybe you should leave said company. I work in a fantastic district, under a fantastic district manager - perhaps you are one of the reasons why people have been having such crappy experiences at Zales. That *** poor attitude carries through to your employees. Last time I checked, we work for YOUR bonuses every month, we work to get YOU a bigger paycheck. And for the amount I'm "paid" on warranties, I'd just as sooner tell people the truth. That my measly extra 25c I get (after taxes) for selling them one, is of far lesser importance than a 5 grand ring they have on their finger. I do it because I CARE. Sounds like it's time for you to leave if you're that negative...

4 2 Reply

Dec 15, 2011 #392032

Okay, so here's the latest. I got the ring back, fixed, no more loose stone. Thing is NOW it's actually what looks like a brand new ring. Thing is, it was part of a set, so the gold band part is slightly smaller than the original ring I owned. The difference between the two is subtle and I'm just grateful to get the ring back at this point. It bothers me that the sales gal played it off as if it was the original ring, just fixed. What did Zales do, melt it down and take some of the gold out to get the money back for the warranty?? WTH? No regard for the fact that I had the ring blessed - and now I have two rings that although look similar, the gold band part is thinner in one of them.

Nikki jones

Nov 28, 2011 #382223

Peoples and zales sucks like look at all these comments , maybe they should re-think the way they treat their customers. Hey everyone micheal hill jewelers is amazing and said they would fix what peoples screwed up for free. Peoples sized my ring wrong 3 times in a row they told me to ware it on my middle finger, my engagement ring? Okay well no I want people to know I'm engaged. Sooo rude customer service sucks . Mayfair in Victoria people's jewelers stay away
Nicole jones from Victoria bc canada

0 1 Reply
Zales District Manager

Sep 24, 2011 #349209

Same to you Kate, they didn't extend it because they care, I promise and its warranty and customer

Zales District Manager

Sep 24, 2011 #349208

Don't kid yourself Zgirl83, the ammount of pressure they put on you to sell those things and get credit applications is ridiculous and that company couldn't care any less about you so I don't know why your wasting your time defending them.

jj

Aug 23, 2011 #333007

@meanpeoeplesuck when did you buy your ring. Don't know if this has been answered.

Kate

Aug 23, 2011 #332765

Wow. I really did not mean for my comment to be taken in that way. For that I apologize. No, I do not work for Zales. I do however own several pieces of jewelry from there. Iv'e worked in customer service at a grocery store, clothing store, and a local jeweler. I wont say thier names because I feel that somehow someone could sue me for that. I quit the jewelry store and by extension custumer service because I realized that no matter what business I work for, customer service is never a happy department. My problem was that I cared deeply about making things right for the custumers and took thier rantings and comments personally. No one likes standing for hours having people scream at them no matter how legit thier claim is, and no one can last long in customer service with that attitude. Of course I do not want you to go quietly like a sheep, I am just confused because Zales offers 2 warrenties: the diamond bond and the metal warrenty. If a metal part of your ring needs to be fixed and you do not have the metal warrenty, then I could see where they might think they need to charge you. If they told you that they free diamond bond covered the whole ring, then there is a miscomunication problem and someone is probably going to be in big trouble. Once again, I appologize for any unsettling or infuriating feelings I might have caused.

Aug 18, 2011 #330850

What bothers me is the miscommunication by the sales associate to make a sale. What bothers me is the lack of quality and craftsmanship in a Zales product. What bothers me is the continual change in policy where the customer has to pick up the slack and pay more for something that was promised from the get-go. I personally do not think it is a bad thing to ask a company to make a quality product, stay true to "promises" and these lifetime guarantees. Do sales clerks work on commission? Even at the start of this, the Zales clerk that initially checked my ring and said that I had a loose stone leaned over and bad mouthed her fellow employees. If even the sales team has nothing nice to say, what does that tell you?

What I failed to leave out was that this was the THIRD time a diamond had gotten loose or fallen out in the over 6 years I've owned the rings. Where's the quality and craftsman ship in that? Offering an upgrade was taken as an insult as I'd much rather spend my money at Shane Co. who has much better customer service, knows what it’s policies are and doesn’t keep changing them at the CUSTOMERS expense.

Zgirl83, yes, I have been religious in taking my rings in every 6 months for their proper cleaning and care, that’s what I’m upset about. I’ve been doing my part, and now all of a sudden because Zales changes it’s policy we’re the one to suffer where the company wants more money rather than staying true to their
... Show more

0 1 Reply
Kate

Aug 14, 2011 #328610

MeanPeopleSuck, I am sure that you read the paperwork that your sales associate handed to you, but then i am confused as to why you are upset...I agree with Zgirl83. I too am sorry that you are frustrated by your experience, but you seem to be confusing the 2 warrenties. the lifetime diamond warrenty covers the diamond. (if it chips, cracks, scratches, or falls out) as long as you bring it in every 6 months. Zales used to offer a 2-year metal warrenty that covers anything that could possibly happen to the metal. Good news, they decided that this was a dumb idea so they tweaked the metal warrenty. Currently it is a pay-1-time lifetime warrenty. I am glad that Zales offered the upgrade to you because it is not only a great way to celebrate an anniversary, but it also shows that they considered every option in helping you and did not give up on you as a client. Most jewelers would just want the angry custumer to leave, rather than deal with them any further. the fact that they stuck it out and offered to continue a relationship is amazing.

1-20 of 21 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Zales. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Zales.
Filing a new complaint about
×