Zales - Upgrade: I was surprised when I traded up my 2 cwt ring to a 3 cwt ring.

153 of 185 Zales Reviews
Feb 14, 2010
review #171360

I was surprised when I traded up for a 3cwt ring; Zales put my 2 cwt ring right back in the case for resale, without sending to a jeweler for cleaning, to check prongs, etc. I had worn for about 6 mos, and makes me wonder "where the 3 cwt ring I now had, had been??" I would think that the "pre-owned" jewelery should be marked and advertised as such, in stead of one assuming that the jewelery in the cases is actually brand new and never worn before. Take a look in the cases...dull and used looking.

9689bd8
Had an experience with Zales?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
josh

Aug 30 Clearwater, Florida

I just got an engagement ring from Zales and when I got home I noticed a dark looking spec in the center stone. it looks like *** now that I noticed it.turn it to the side and I can see a few specs. I guess thats why Jared is twice as much there diamond was spec free. Idk what to do now

Madison

Mar 18

Seriously, no one buys back the Zales octillion diamond. If you have a solitaire octillion Zales diamond (mine is 2 ct in platinum) and need to sell it for any reason, no reputable jeweler will touch it, so you're *** out of luck. Plus if you price an engagement ring at another jeweler that's priced $15K to $20K (or more) they are not selling you the junk SI diamonds that passes at Zales. Do your homework - go to your local jewelers and forget the Zales, Kays, and Jareds (aka fastfood jewelers) of the world.

Diamond girl

Feb 28 Denver, Colorado

How does the upgrade policy work with preowned jewelry that's purchased at Zales for instance I bought a bridal collection pre owned ring for 1, 125.00 but now wanna upgrade double will zales honor pre owned upgrade?

Joey

Jul 11, 2012

I have bought numerouse amounts of jewelry at Zales and have never, ever had any issues. Love Zales.

DVVS1

Apr 16, 2012

If you had the ring for only six months and then went to trade it in what probably happened was either: they didn't officially do the trade up they might have just returned/exchanged the ring because you have to spend double the money when you trade up and going from a 2ct to a 3ct is not really trading up unless it was in fact a solitaire. And doing the exchange is easier to do than to do the trade up and if in fact the ring you upgraded to was NOT double the value then they must have in fact just exchanged it to accommodate unhappy customers so they wont come online to complain about this! But obviously it didn't work now did it!

Gabriela

Apr 11, 2012

I'm sorry hon' but you must be mistaken. All tradeups r sent back to corporate. I assure you that all the merchandise in our cases are new pieces. Only the preowned case, which is accordingly labeled so, has "used pieces." And even then they worked on to be good as new. If what u say really did happen, don't let one dishonest employee keep you from coming back to see us. We will gladly try to address any issues you have, for we value all of our guests. Thank u!

Gabriela

Apr 11, 2012

Miss Ellie

Mar 20, 2012

Zales doesn't suck - they ROCK! you are probably angry because you couldn't get away with trying to rip someone off!

Wow

Feb 05, 2012

If you bought a 3ct solitaire diamond from zales I hope you had it ordered.From what I have seen in most every zales I have been in is that they typically have very little diamonds over SI2 clarity in stock or at least in their cases.If you have a 3ct stone that is SI2 you are sure going to see inclusions easily.Mostly what I have seen in Zales is what I call ghetto clusters.These are rings where about 50 poor quality diamonds make up 2ct's or where 4 diamonds are put together to give the illusion that it is a solitaire.Many of their solitaires are I1 clarity which I call junk.

nyt

Jul 29, 2013 Shirley, New York

Wow...what an awful statement to make! Everybody loves their jewelry whether they can afford Van Cleef or industrial grade...keep your "hater" comments to yourself!

yes yes yes

Feb 05, 2012

What this poster describes is usually accurate when talking about jewelry stores which allow you to "trade up".This trade up should also give you a hint about how much the markup on jewelry really is.If you knew what the jewelry store pays for jewelry it would make you sick.As I have said before you can save a large amount of money by buying from a pawn shop or seller of estate jewelry.As long as the diamond is not damaged and is a modern cut stone you are are getting the same thing as in the jewelry store except you are not paying the HUGE markup and helping to make the owners of the jewelry store rich.

Roslyn

Oct 08, 2011

I have always had great experiences at Zales. I would not stop shopping there because of one associates mistake, especially if I didn`t make anyone aware. Keep up the good work. My upgrade was absolutely beautiful and flawless. THANK YOU!!

Ami Rob

Jul 03, 2011

If you want a quality ring from Zales, simply create it. If you are buying a diamond ring (from anywhere) don't size it, have Zales remake the ring in your exact size. This is at no charge, so you NEVER have to buy a diamond ring of greater quality used, tried on, or even have to tamper with it thereafter. After playing around for hours I see that you will save good money in most cases at Zales when comparing to good quality diamonds elsewhere. After all, they have been around since 1924. The rule is if it's going to be special to you. Make sure you are the first to wear it. Do your homework on the product and you will fell better. As far as bad customer service goes? I would have done the same thing, but whenever I'm in Zales I note that they are more helpful when they see that you know what you are talking about (just a tip) and have never been intrusive or rude to me yet...

Steven

Jun 09, 2011

People you can save a huge amount of money if your buy from pawn shops.I would never consider paying "retail" for jewelry again.When you pay retail you are paying for a huge store markup that just makes more money for the store.When you buy at a pawn shop you need to know alot about jewelry and what to look for but you can get a great deal that way.I do not work at a pawnshop or for zales but I own alot of jewelry and have known both jewelry and pawn shop owners.

Eleanor

May 30, 2011

If this really happened-? It is not the usual policy of this store. Possibly this one particular store had a dishonest manager. I bought a loose diamond from Zales competition. The sales person switched it for a lower quality diamond. The paper work said the diamond was vs quality. The diamond I received was sl1 quality. I was pissed #!# and returned the diamond to that store. I then went to Zales, bought a beautiful diamond, and they let me watch them set it. I am so happy with my ring. Once again I have to say that This is not Zales standard policy.

Zales retailer

Apr 07, 2011

jewelery that has been traded in for a upgrade has to stay in the store for 6 months before it is sent to home office or before anything is sone wih it. if you seen the employee tag it and put it back in the case you should of said something. i know this because i work for zales

maria

Sep 08, 2010

so you saw employee put that ring back in the case ? you must be on drugs !!! i cant stand people like you .. lying .. giving zales bad name ..

no games,no lies....

Aug 28, 2010

I used to work for zales many years ago and I had the nest time of my life there zales its a great company to work for and that's why it upsets me when people just want to lie and complain about stuff or situations that they are not certain of,trade ins don't get put back into the showcases they get sent away and when a zales sells preowned pieces they get advertised as such....

Anna

Jul 24, 2010

Zales sucks!!! I returned a bracelet and necklace because there were that diamonds fell out. I used my atm/debit card to purchase its been over a week and they still have not credited back the refund to my account. I will NEVER shop there again. I will tell everyone I know not to shop there. There's to many other places I can go. The employees and Manager were rude on top of everything. :( :(

Nikki

Jun 17, 2010

I work in a Zales that sells preowned jewelery----this jewelery has NEVER been worn before--it is jewelry that was special ordered and just never picked up. It is NOT estate jewelry. Huge difference.

1-20 of 23 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Zales.
Filing a new complaint about
×